Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Phases of labor...

On Monday June 1st, we attended our first two prenatal classes at Suburban Hospital: Signs, Stages, and Phases of Labor and Specialized OB Anesthesia. I don't know if it helped or just raised my blood pressure. During the first class, I think they skipped a phase of labor...the "what in the hell did we do" phase. I think it starts aroudn 23 weeks. I know how the babies have to get here, but who thinks of that before hand? I don't like needles even though I've been stuck with a fair share of them. On Monday, I actually held an epidural needle that was as blunt as a telephone pole. They said "You'll feel PRESSURE when we stick you". PRESSURE...are you kidding me? Maybe they should sharpen that thing a little. Oh yeah, they can't or they might accidentally stick your spinal cord and you'll get spinal headaches that are cured with, you guessed it, another epidural...WHAT?!?!

Luckily, the anesthesiologists at Norton Hospitals are strictly OB anesthesiologists, so they get lots of practice. I think they said 25 epidurals a day. I am also reading a book on the Bradley Method and plan on talking to our doctor at our next appointment about birthing options. We'll probably take a class on the Bradley Method if we still have enough time. I think it could be handy no matter what happens. I could have used some breathing techniques on Monday!

I guess I'm at the "What the hell did we do" stage of pregnancy as I try to cope with the reality of what is to come. I'm honestly a little overwhelmed by all of the procedures and the many changes that will come with these babies. I know once they're here, nothing else will really matter. I just keep reminding myself of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment