Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Our First baby Shower!

Today I learned that my friends at work are sneaky, creative, and very thoughtful. Evidently, months ago, my friend and co-worker, Jenny, intercepted a phone call from Scott to get him in on a surprise baby shower for us. They arranged for Scott to pick me up from work today to take me to dinner. However, just as we were leaving, my boss, Barbara called me to her office. Across from her office is the boardroom and this is where everyone was waiting. She told me she had to go to the boardroom and asked me to follow. My breath was taken away when I saw most of my friends/co-workers waiting for me in a room decorated with baby clothes, diaper bouquets, and delicious food. Many people stayed late just to attend the shower, two of my co-workers daughters who I really like came (Teresa & Grace), and Tammy B who only works one day a week at the Center made a special trip for the shower. I was blown away and am surprised I could hold back the tears, that is until after the shower.
My co-worker's daughter, Teresa, just graduated from Sullivan college with a culinary degree (she's job hunting if you know of any openings...I'll vouch for her - she's fabulous!) and she made the most adorable shower cake I've ever seen. It looked like two little babies (a boy and a girl) in a bed under a blanket...she did wonders with fondant!


Everyone brought food and it was wonderful too! Another surprise is that everyone paired us with another person and dressed as twins. There were Hooters twins, pregnant twins, twins in curlers and robes, twins in red, twins in black, twins in KIDS Center shirts...it was GREAT! I laughed so hard...Good thing I had just visited my second office, the restroom.






I was overwhelmed as I opened the many gifts. Outfits, blankets, bottles, bath chairs, books, booties, wash clothes, diaper cakes, sleep positioners, high chairs, bedding...the gifts were endless. The generosity of everyone touched me deeply and I couldn't help but feel like the luckiest person in the world.


I've always felt fortunate to be a part of the KIDS Center and today was a great reminder of why. We are a family who support those who enter our doors through good times and bad. We share sorrow and joy and give love and support. I could not ask for better friends and I'm lucky to get to see them each day and have them in my life. I hope that our children find people in their lives that are special as the people that surround me each day. Thank you, each and every one of you, for making each day special and especially for making today one I will treasure forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment